Apply For The Future Skills Program
Listen to the full episode on iTunes (and please leave a rating to help the podcast reach more people): E19: Get More Important Work Done—Tools and Systems with Sebastian Marshall
- Sebastian measures everything related to his work. He can tell you what he did down to a 5 minute block the last 18 months.
- Doing the advanced measuring stuff requires a lot of extra time and you get just a 3% advantage. Doing the most important measurements doesn’t take much time and can give you very important insights.
- A great thing to measure is sleep and how a certain amount of hours affects your productivity and creativity.
- Sebastian found that after 1 night of bad sleep he has no problems.
- However after 3 bad nights he falls out of his routine and starts taking on bad habits. He stops meditating, eating well and doing deep work.
- Also, Sebastian found that when he needs to do creative work he needs 9.5 hours of sleep however for taking meetings, being social and doing errands he needs just 7.
- Some pro athletes sleep 10-12 hours to optimize performance.
- The key take away: Most people need somewhere around 7-9 hours of sleep, however your sleep needs will also depend on what you do on a daily basis. If you’re training hard and doing very stressful work your sleep needs may be much greater than the average person.
- Mikael uses aluminum foil on his windows to make his room completely dark. This improves the quality of his sleep.
- Another great thing to measure is how much time you spend doing the most important thing in your life because most people spend minimal time doing their important work.
- If you can do 4 hours deep focused work on your most important task per day, you are ahead of 95% of people.
- Tracking how much time you put into each task is most beneficial for artists and entrepreneurs who have to wear 5-7 hats because often the most important deep work task is neglected.
- Sebastian does not use WiFi at home. Forces him to do creative work first thing in the morning and go to sleep early.
We are right now creating the Future Skills Program which will be an online video course covering decision making and risk management with weekly homework and evaluations.
* Why decision making and risk management? Because better decisions and risk management equal better finances, better relationships and an overall better life.
* Decisions are the foundation of everything you do and the outcome you eventually get.
CHRISTOFFER RUTGERSSON says
Where can I find the link to Sebastian’s tools?
Oskar Faarkrog says
that was in the episode description. I can copy paste links here:
Work Cycles + Light Spread Sheets: https://www.ultraworking.com/future